Wednesday, July 17, 2019

A Day in Physical Therapy

“A typical day at the PT site goes along these lines: we usually head over to the nursing home in the morning. The patients need to be stretched, which is usually the most difficult part, because they often resist the stretches or scream in order to get out of exercising, which can be scary! We help patients get into their homes or fetch them what they need, and finally, we have group therapy! It’s my absolute favorite because we often have dance parties or play Simon Says, and the seniors are so genuinely invested in the  activity! Sometimes the special ed school Genesis joins us and dances along, which is the most wonderful sight in the world! 


Once we return to the office, we cater to patients with more specific needs, but with the same kindness in their hearts. Each and every person I have met through this trip has changed me. My group leader, Silvio, and the rest of the group were always trusting me to do things on my own—things that I would never be allowed to even attempt without supervision in the US! I can’t help but smile when I think of patients who held my hand so comfortably and smiled and conversed with me so patiently. The people I have met on this trip have allowed me to trust in my own abilities and to have faith in a Creator who never breaks His promises, while showing me a new depth of His love.”

- Cathy Kollmorgen

No comments:

Post a Comment